Faced with a major shortage of athletic field space and campus parking, Boston University developed a solution to both issues with the construction of their 110,000 SF New Balance Field. BOND provided construction management services for the new facility, which was financed in part by Boston-based New Balance. The structure houses a new home athletic field for BU’s field hockey and intramural sports teams, seating for 500 spectators, and a 350-space, below-grade precast garage. The field incorporates many sustainable features, including a 15,000-gallon tank that captures rainwater and re-uses it for 80% of the site’s annual irrigation needs. The tank supports 90,000 SF of AstroTurf field before and after games to support better play.
- Demolition and abatement of an existing 80,000 SF abandoned building and surface parking lot
- Located on a tight urban site with multiple abutters, including student residence halls, retail shops, and BU’s Track & Tennis Center
- Management of traffic flow for deliveries through the four busy streets surrounding the site
- Development of a detailed logistics plan and trucking route to maintain area vehicular flow
- Creation of a strict demolition and abatement plan to regulate the disposal of 20,000 yards of contaminated soils
- Utilization of tablet-based BIM360 program to manage quality, safety, and schedule
- Successful transformation of a formerly unsightly campus parcel into a home field for BU’s nationally-ranked women’s field hockey team, allowing the University to expand its NCAA Division I athletics program.
- No unscheduled disruption to adjacent roadways or buildings
- Alleviated campus parking issues
- Completed on time and on budget